2011 CE Public-Use Microdata
The 2011 public-use microdata (PUMD) were originally released to the public for free electronic download on September 25, 2012.
The zip files below contain the most recent version of the 2011 PUMD, including data and documentation.
About 2011 CE PUMD
The 2011 PUMD release was the first PUMD originally released online for free electronic download. Some of the changes in the 2011 files from the 2010
Beginning in 2011Q2, the FPAR paradata file included categorical variables indicating the level of cooperation and effort
of the respondent during the interview.
- Beginning in 2011Q2, variables were added to the UTI EXPN file to tract expenses for applications, games, and ringtones by month.
- Changed and/or new Universal Classification Codes (UCCs) were added in the Diary and Interview for items such as computer software,
computer accessories, digital book readers, video game software, and adult diapers.
For an exhaustive list of changes, please read through the Interview and Diary documentations, which are included in the 2011 documentation zipped file.
2011 CE PUMD Files
To learn how to download the zip files below, please see Instructions for Downloading Consumer Expenditure Survey (CE) Microdata and Documentation. See the
2011 read me
text file for a listing and information about the 2011 PUMD files. Also, a 'Getting Started' guide (PDF) is available
to those who are new to CE PUMD.
The documentation zip file contains user guides and documentation, data dictionaries, parameter files,
and sample programs.
2011 Microdata Documentation
Note: The 2011 documentation below is a subset of files included in the documentation zip file above.
- Public-Use Interview Survey Microdata Documentation (PDF 1.0 MB)
- Public-Use Interview Survey Data Dictionary (PDF 1.2 MB)
- Public-Use Diary Survey Microdata Documentation (PDF)
- Public-Use Diary Survey Data Dictionary (PDF)
- Archived Documentation and Errata
If you have comments or questions, please contact us via email.
Last Modified Date: September 25, 2012